By: Patrick Dengel, OSU - RIO Grande Collaboration Coordinator and Business Development Specialist
OSU-RIO collaboration broadcasts are multi-media (Radio, TV, YouTube and live Internet streaming) educational shows with a host of different topics that promote small businesses, business support organizations, programs at The Ohio State University South Centers, and educational programs at the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College.
The shows air on Wednesday afternoons at the Radio and TV Studio at the University of Rio Grande. Guests include a variety of people representing educational, business development, community and organizational programs. These broadcasts are a collaborative effort of the two Universities that are hosted by individuals representing organizations and local communities, the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College and The Ohio State University.
The ultimate mission of these collaborative media programs is to be an educational learning lab for students enrolled in the business and communication programs at the University of Rio Grande as well as to be a promotional tool for educational programs at the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College and the business and agricultural programs of The Ohio State University South Centers. The OSU-RIO collaborative educational broadcasts assist students with understanding and using different formats of social media, including: Radio, TV, YouTube and live Internet streaming.
This educational project had its inception February 2010 using a weekly Internet Blog-Talk Internet podcast program. This program provides business majors and MBA students with experience in using different media formats as part of their entrepreneurial course work. It has been the goal to have students plan the media show schedule, schedule guests for the program, use different marketing/advertisement formats, co-host interviews, undertake the behind-the scenes broadcasting duties, and maintain statistical information.
In January 2012, the shows began simulcasting with the Rio Grande Educational Channel 17 TV station. This public access TV program broadcasts under the Time Warner Cable System using one of the Public Educational Channels. Viewers from four southern Ohio counties can view broadcast shows live as well as listen on the Internet Blog-Talk Radio site. All completed broadcast shows are uploaded onto university YouTube channels. Consequently, all shows are archived on Blog-talk radio and YouTube video channels for viewing and listening again. According to statistics of YouTube and Internet Radio, people from over 170 countries have viewed or listened to at least one of the broadcasts and over 45,000 have listened or viewed to one of the archived shows.
These broadcasts provide subject information on varying topics ranging from interviewing people from small businesses, personnel from business support organizations, programs managers and educators with The Ohio State University South Centers, and faculty/administration on various educational programs with the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College. Different show formats include:
• South Centers Chat – hosted by Dr. Tom Worley discussing OSU South Centers Partners and OSU educational programs
• Agri-Talk – focusing in on agricultural topics in Southern Ohio
• Strictly Business – focusing in on regional small business owners
• Tech-Talk focusing on new types of technology in the educational and business worlds
• Pawsitive Learning – dog training segments
• Exposition – art and artisan culture
• Bank-Talk – financial and economic programs
• Voice of Rio Grande – hosted by Dr. Michelle Johnston, educational programs and organizations that support higher learning
• Voice of Rio Grande – hosted by Dr. Richard Sax, educational programs inside the University of Rio Grande
• Voice of Rio Grande – Hosted by Dr. Lawrence and Dr. Mitchell, Deans, interviewing faculty at the University of Rio Grande
• Safe-Guard with Police Chief of Rio – safety issues for students and individuals
• International Culture – focusing on different cultures throughout the diverse world
• Babylon Radio – featuring musical artist
• Business Talk – featuring different southern Ohio small businesses
• Chamber Exchange – Gallia County Chamber of Commerce, featuring area businesses and organizations